Saturday, November 29, 2008

Chicago

The Midwest is much different than most places (specifically the east and west coasts). And Chicago is much different than the Midwest. There isn't much corn, no large crosses in the middle of cornfields (Ever been to Effingham? http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2780290), and there is wonderful stuffed (not deep dish) pizza.

But in someways Chicago is everything the Midwest is about, and that is why it is the best of both worlds. While still being a major metropolitan area, with skyscrapers, concerts, bars, highways, sports teams, shopping and many other things, it has the feel of home.

Unlike New York, its very hard to get lost here. I know some would say that if you are a true New Yorker, then you don't get lost there either, but I can't buy that. You always feel lost in New York, and maybe thats the appeal of it.

For me though, Chicago is hard to get lost in. It's a city of neighborhoods, you always know where you are, and usually who you are. In New York, its a place to search for each of those things, and maybe thats why I'm there right now. I think Chicago is a place you end up in when you know who you are and want to stay that way.

In other words, I'm happy to be back in Chicago for a few days. Happy Thanksgiving.

On a lighter note, this is a text message I just got from my student:

"Happy thanx giving I noe iz very late I juzz remeberd buh I hope u enjoy da rest of da days we have left lolzz." They are amazing. Be Jealous.

No comments: