Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Things I Carried

When I came to New York I didn't bring a whole lot with me. I basically has what I had stored with some cousins that live in Jersey -- consisting mostly of clothes and other random necessities (Such as a TV, microwave, hangers, and my beloved black vest, which I've finally had a chance to break out in the crisp fall weather here in New York).

Now I've never been one to take the time to decorate my room, but I decided when I went home for my Brother's wedding a few weeks into August that I would take some things back with me to decorate my room. So what did I choose? Well, I brought my diploma, a flat-brimmed had that says "Da Bronx" in spray paint (another story for another time), a number of books, some posters, and two pictures.

One of the pictures was taken last year when I interned at the DCCC (the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) with the head of the DNC (Democratic National Committee), Howard Dean. I apologize for all the political acronyms...hopefully you'll get used to them.

And the other? The other really just hit me yesterday. It is a picture of me with Illinois Senators Barack Obama and Dick Durbin at a constituent breakfast a few years ago. It was very weird to look up and see a picture of myself with the President Elect, and I must say pretty cool. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I thoroughly enjoy figuring out how I could network to famous political people...so seeing a picture of myself on the wall with Obama was quite a proud moment.

I'll leave you with a link to a brief story reported in my hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune, today that relays just how far Obama has come in the last four years:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2008/11/o-mens.html

No comments: