Thursday, November 13, 2008

U.S. History Bible?

So I know that I said this blog wasn't about teaching, and it isn't; however, I cannot resist relaying what happened during my advisory today.

Some background, I'd say most of my kids speak Spanish. There are a few who don't...but most do. The majority of them speak Spanish as their first language.

The conversation turned to church on Sunday, and they proceeded to go into saying things in Spanish that I didn't understand that seemed to be jokes about their churches. They usually at this point, stop, and point out that they should switch back into English so that I can understand them (which I must say is nice of them!) But I told them not to worry, that I would just act like I understood them, and laugh at whatever they were doing.

Then this happened: They proceeded to take the U.S. History Regents Review books off the shelf. I was a bit confused at this point. They then passed out all of the books to everyone, and didn't give me one (not because I was the teacher, but because I was Jewish) and one of the girls started preaching in Spanish...everyone was cracking up, and eventually shouting Amen.

All I could think about was that they had chosen the U.S. History Regents review book as their Bible. If only, right?

No comments: