Friday, January 2, 2009

Never Ending Hanukkah Celebrations

I had my final (I think) Hanukkah Celebration for Chanukkah '08, although admittedly, it occurred in 2009.

One thing that my family has never been able to do is have Hanukkah parties during Hannukah. The intention is always there. The e-mails go out, the family members respond -- each with their own reason as to why having a party during Hanukkah won't work. Sometimes the reasons are legit, such as that they are college students still at school...or...that they are off in some exotic country on a family vacation. I accept that.

However, is it really all that hard to find ONE day during an EIGHT night holiday to all get together? I mean, If I didn't know better, I would think that the reason for Hanukkah being an eight night holiday is because knowing that, as a people, Jews have a tendency to be late, that with eight days we'd be sure to be able to all find time to get together.

Maybe next year it'll work out, right?

1 comment:

Leah said...

You should realize that it has a lot to do with your being out of town.. and that it coincided with winter break this year. We definitely had a Hanukkah party on the 8th night with the Cantor side. At least the HUGE Hannukah party is in January this year, instead of February like last year - ugh!