Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Date With A Special Investigator

I walked into Starbucks at 4pm.

I had planned to meet him at 4:30. He said he's be wearing a suit; sure enough he was.

We both got there a half-hour early. I had been secretly (and not so secretly) excited about it all day. I was going to get to talk to a special investigator! Kinda movie-like, right?

I grabbed a Blackberry Fizzy drink -- I think that's what they are called. I've actually never bought a drink at Starbucks from the refrigerator, I always get something fresh from the bar. I guess was was feeling like trying something new. I mean I was about to be interrogated, right?

We sat down. He flashed his badge. HE FLASHED HIS BADGE. He had a badge. I don't know anyone who has a badge (well I guess police officers, but I don't know any, and I don't think their badge is as cool).

As we sat there for about 45 minutes, we discussed a friend who was applying for a job with a security clearance, and so I basically was quizzed about his entire life, and my involvement in his life. Questions stemmed from how I knew him, when I lived with him and how often I talk about him...to the REALLY fun ones, and ones I nearly burst out laughing during, which included, "Have you ever known this person to have forcibly attempted to overthrow the United States Government?" I also had to confirm that, to my knowledge, he loves his country. Which he does, I assure you.

While this was happening, people in the Starbucks continuously looked over at us in confusion, trying to understand what this conversation was about, and why I was trying to create a time-line of events, as well as why the man across from me cared about someones allegiances to the United States. Although the answer to those questions are not too excited, since it was really just a formal background check, I'd like to think that the people in the Starbucks thought that I was someone exciting, important and maybe even slightly in trouble with the Law.

That would be cool, right? Oh well.

1 comment:

Abby Klionsky said...

Only in New York?
More like only on Law and Order.
He had a badge!