Monday, April 13, 2009

The Double Edged Sword That Is Pandora

Pandora is a double edged sword.

It is amazing as a product and a tool. I can listen to music that I enjoy for free, even though my iTunes library has about as extensive a collection as Bodega's in the Bronx have of Kosher food.

However, it has a single flaw: It removes the mystery of why you like the music you like.

Whenever someone asks me what type music I listen to, I struggle to explain to them what my taste in music is. I name a few bands, somehow settle on "Alternative Rock" as what I enjoy, and leave it at that.

Now, with Pandora, I can tell them that it is not necessarily "Alternative Rock" that I enjoy, but rather, I enjoy music that "features electronic rock instrumentation, a subtle use of vocal harmony, major key tonalities, electric rhythm guitars and a dynamic male vocalist."

I'm not quite sure if that's a good or bad thing, but right now it's just not what I need. If you have any good Alternative Rock songs/bands to suggest to me, please do so. However, if I need some new music that "features electronic rock instrumentation, a subtle use of vocal harmony, major key tonalities, electric rhythm guitars and a dynamic male vocalist," I'll let Pandora figure that out for me.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You know, I hear this guy called Bob Dylan is pretty good. Maybe you should check it out.

Unknown said...

I was looking for some other content but found it and it was my pleasure reading this post.
Damp proofing services